Friday, June 19, 2015

I have Veggies Growing!

My roof-top garden is flourishing!

Garden when I started.
 
The plants are getting tall, but I have not harvested anything yet. I have had a pepper growing for a little over a week now. And then this morning I looked a saw a zucchini growing. This was very exciting, not to mention surprising as I was expecting yellow squash. My neighbor had given me some leftover seeds and told me it was squash. But I love zucchini, so I am happy. Upon further inspection after work, I found another big zucchini and about 5 little ones growing.  It looks like this plant is going to be plentiful.

Pepper growing.



Zucchini growing!

The zucchini plant is quite large and has pretty flowers. I found out that you can fry these up and eat them, but then the zucchini won't come in as they grow out of the flowers. I also saw that my snow peas are coming in, but they are in the same container as the zucchini and are being pushed over by the big leaves.

Zucchini will grow out of the flowers.

Since my last post about my vegetable garden, I bought a variety pack of seeds off of amazon and planted a bunch of more veggies such as broccoli, spinach, lettuce, red pepper, yellow tomatoes and eggplant. These seeds were only planted a few weeks ago, so they probably won't be sprouting veggies until the end of the summer. I planted them in the pots that our boxwoods came in, but they are starting to outgrow these small pots. I am planning to transfer the ones that are running out of room to bigger pots.

Lot of seeds.



Seeds planted.


Tomatoes growing tall in the bucket and seeds sprouting.

The funny thing is that I am going to have a lot zuchinni because I planted two more pots from the seeds I had gotten off amazon, not knowing that I was already growing some. I guess I'll have to make some zucchini muffins!


The tall plants are more zucchini and yellow squash. 


My herbs that I was growing in the wine crate have not been as successful. The wine crate looks like it is going to fall apart and the basil and cilantro have not grown much. So I don't think I would use a wine crate again because it doesn't drains well.

The wine crate is rotting.

I have been having fun with my garden; I'm always excited to come home from work and see what's growing. It's very rewarding, well...it will be when I can actually eat all of the yummy fresh veggies.




No comments :

Post a Comment