Friday, January 9, 2015
Mi Casa, es Su Casa
Thanks for visiting my blog! My name is Erin and I recently got married and moved into my husband’s house in Hampden in Baltimore City
My husband, David bought an old rowhouse in May of 2012. Our guess is that the house is from the late 1890s. I say "our guess" because the deed says 1900, but we were told by the real estate agent that if the city didn't know the exact year that the house was built, then they just wrote down 1900. That means that our house is at least 115 years old, but probably older.
When David bought the house it had recently been flipped and looked nice but the fixes were mostly superficial. This has resulted in many issues including the electricity in certain areas being spotty and flooding in the basement. In addition to finding solutions to these problems, we also had a long list of changes we planned to make. It's a constant dilemma of choosing to work on projects that are a necessity and working on projects that we really want to do. Needless to say, we have put a lot of work into the house, both crucial improvements and cosmetic enhancements.
David has been fixing up our house project by project and I've been helping him. He's trying to do the work by himself to save money. My husband worked for his father's contracting company when he was a teenager and learned some construction skills, but typically he just painted. On our house he's quite adventurous and will jump right into projects that would be daunting to most. Youtube has become his main source for tips on how to do anything from plumbing, to electrician work, to carpentry. For the most part, I help with the simple, less skilled tasks such as fetching tools, cleaning up and making lunch (I know, I sound super feminist right now ;p).
Even though I’ve only officially lived in the house for four months, I’ve been there from the beginning from the home buying process, to moving him in, to cleaning up after his roommate left. Now that I am all moved in, I get a little more say on the changes we make to the house.
David and I have become fascinated with historic houses and architecture so we are trying to restore our house to it's former glory, while including some modern touches as well. This blog will detail our rehabbing journey...
I'm excited to share with you all the cool things my talented husband has done to make our house a home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)

Erin, never underestimate the value and importance of a much needed, well timed lunch. It enhances the overall end result. My David, and myself had to rely on Time Life Home Improvement books (one telemarketing scheme that gave a good return on investment.) Now you can learn anything watching YouTube. Follow your instincts though - not all come from sound knowledge and experience. We look forward to seeing your wonderful home transformed into your very own home.
ReplyDeleteAnd, I love the moniker!
ReplyDeleteHaha yes, I suppose a well timed lunch is important too! I didn't know you had a food blog! I'll have to check it out :D
ReplyDelete